Wednesday 3 October 2012

Elisabeth Moss Excedrin

Elisabeth Moss Excedrin, It wouldn't surprise me if most of the actors on 'Mad Men' ended up in commercials at some point. It's a show about advertising, so you sort of associate them with ads and commercials.

At least two 'Mad Men' actors, Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss, are featured in commercials circulating right now. Hamm is the new voice for Mercedes-Benz, taking the baton from Richard Thomas (John-Boy on 'The Waltons'), who served as the car company's voice-over talent for the past four years.

In a Media Decoder story, Stephen Cannon, vice-president for marketing at Mercedes-Benz USA in Montvale, N.J., calls the new campaign "a nice re-fresh of our voice," adding that Hamm has "a terrific, very resonant voice with a lot of gravitas to it." He also notes that Hamm will help Mercedes-Benz "reach out to a younger, more vibrant audience."

Hamm really does have a great voice, and it's also very recognizable. Even if you've never watched 'Mad Men,' you've probably heard his voice somewhere along the way. I'm not sure I totally agree that he'll help the company reach out to a younger audience, though. Maybe, but I sort of associate his character of Don Draper with my dad -- you know, the hat, the overcoat, the quiet resolute personality. My dad never drank, smoked or fooled around, but he was my dad in the 1960s, so that whole era is of my parents' generation.

On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz is going green, as Hamm so deftly notes in this commercial, and there was certainly not much of that in the 1960s (remember the episode where the Drapers enjoyed a nice picnic outside, then when they were done, Betty shook the blanket out and left all the trash on the lawn?).

Also, maybe younger people are richer now than they were back in my parents' generation. Back then, it seemed like the only people who could afford Mercedes-Benz cars were independently wealthy people in their 60s and 70s. I can't even recall knowing anyone who owned one. It was a rarity, for sure.

See what you think of this commercial. Does it have the desired effect that Mercedes-Benz hopes to convey? Elisabeth Moss, who plays independent woman Peggy Olson on 'Mad Men,' was featured in an Excedrin commercial in 2005 -- two years before the show premiered. It's interesting that the commercial is circulating again, because often when an unknown actor becomes recognizable, the company stops using their ad.

I would totally buy Excedrin after seeing this commercial. Moss just seems like a nice girl who's dealing with migraines like the rest of us and has found the perfect solution. She even has that same furrowed brow I see in the mirror when something's festering in my brain. Yep, she's me.

But the girl in this commercial is definitely not Peggy Olson. In fact, I'm not sure I'd buy Excedrin from Peggy Olson, a girl who'd have a baby, hide it from everyone, and just go on with her life like the baby doesn't exist. Peggy could probably use some Excedrin at this point, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment