Wednesday 31 October 2012

Brad Pitt Marriage Equality

Brad Pitt Marriage Equality, Brad Pitt has donated $100,000 to a campaign for marriage equality. The Hollywood star is famously pro same-sex unions, at one time even insisting he wouldn't wed his now fiancée Angelina Jolie until everyone was free to marry their partner of choice.

The star has now shown his support once again by donating a large sum to the Human Rights Campaign. The organisation is currently vying for marriage equality in the US states of Maryland, Maine, Washington and Minnesota ahead of the American election on November 6.

"It's unbelievable to me that people's lives and relationships are literally being voted on in a matter of days," Brad wrote in an email sent to the organisation's supporters. "If you're like me, you don't want to have to ask yourself on the day after the election, what else could I have done?"

Chad Griffin is HRC's president and couldn't be happier about Brad's involvement. He explained the money will offer a "vital resource" when it comes to campaigning.

"We're proud to be working with him as we show that fundamental fairness will win at the ballot box," he added.

Brad spoke out after the state of New York legalised same-sex marriage in 2011. Although he was pleased things were moving forward, he urged that there was still a lot to be done to unsure there was equality for all.

In 2008, the Hollywood hunk discussed why the matter is so important to him.

"When someone asked me why Angie and I don't get married, I replied, 'Maybe we'll get married when it's legal for everyone else.' I stand by that, although I took a lot of flak for saying it - hate mail from religious groups. I believe everyone should have the same rights. They say gay marriage ruins families and hurts kids. Well, I've had the privilege of seeing my gay friends being parents and watching their kids grow up in a loving environment," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment