Saturday 16 November 2013

Emily Riedel back for second season of 'Bering Sea Gold'

Emily Riedel back for second season of 'Bering Sea Gold', The only female star of the Discovery Channel's "Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice," Emily Riedel, said the danger of the show is worth the reward.
This season, Riedel and other stars of the show, are searching for gold in Nome, Alaska, forced to drill beneath four feet of ice to get to the bottom of the Bering Sea.

“We were really limited by the elements, the winds 20 or 30 below. It was very difficult conditions to make money in,” Riedel told FOX411. “There were a lot of barriers we needed to overcome and we are all still learning. It was a chaotic and frustrating time drilling under the ice… we aren’t certified divers and we are trying to do something that is very difficult and dangerous.”

The show's stars face the threat of hypothermia, frostbite and even getting trapped under the ice. But Riedel said it's all worth it.
“There are certain goals I have for gold mining that I haven’t yet achieved, so I am going to keep on trying until I do,” she said. “The conditions might be awful, but everyone in the world wants to find gold. If you find it, it is yours. It is worth it.”

The Alaska native says she's an opera singer by passion and wouldn't be comfortable having a "normal" job.
“On a bad day I say I could stop this and become an accountant, but that’s not true. I would be a horrible accountant. We are incapable of having regular jobs. I have an uncomfortable personality in general,” Riedel said. “Normal settings make me really anxious. I don’t feel normal in what should be normal situations.

“It is a very difficult job mentally and physically, and there just aren’t many women drawn to this career. Although there should be and I hope that changes,” she added. “A lot of guys have come up to me and told me that I inspire their daughters, and I am proud of that. I have had a lot of failures, but I have gone completely out of comfort zone and ventured into something that was dangerous, but challenging and rewarding.”

No comments:

Post a Comment