Sunday 16 December 2012

Hero teacher Kaitlin Roig

Hero teacher Kaitlin Roig, Kaitlin Roig is a 29-year-old teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the place where Adam Lanza opened fire and killed nearly 30 children and adults during a shooting rampage on December 14.

The teacher is now being hailed a hero for her actions that likely helped save her students and herself from the gunman.Roig sat down with Diane Sawyer about the tragic events. She said when she and the students heard the gun shots, she ushered them into the class bathroom in hopes of staying safe. "We all got in there. I locked us in," she said (via ABC). "I don't know if [the gunman] came in the room... I just told them we have to be absolutely quiet."

The teacher added: "I told them we had to be absolutely quiet. Because I was just so afraid if he did come in, then he would hear us and just start shooting the door. I said we have to be absolutely quiet. And I said there are bad guys out there now and we need to wait for the good guys to come get us out."

"If they started crying, I would take their face and say, 'It's going to be OK. Show me your smile,'" she said. "They said, 'We want to go home for Christmas. Yes, yeah. I just want to hug my mom.' Things like that, that were just heartbreaking."

"I thought we were all going to die," she said through tears. "I told the kids I love them and I was so happy they were my students... I said anyone who believed in the power of the prayer, we need to pray and those who don't believe in prayer think happy thoughts."

When the gunfire subsided, Roig refused to open the classroom door for police, fearing it was really the gunman trying to trick her into unlocking the room. After policemen slipped their badges under the door, she allowed entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment