Wednesday 22 February 2012

7 Reasons I'm Happy My Husband's Unemployed

7 Reasons I'm Happy My Husband's Unemployed

7 Reasons I'm Happy My Husband's Unemployed - Right before Christmas, my husband got laid off from his job. Even though I've been fortunate enough to pick up more writing work, it's kind of a tough situation.


But hey, it's not all Ramen noodles and crushing guilt! I'm focusing on the positives, like having my husband home a lot more.

And I've actually found, deep under the suckiness, 7 reasons I'm happy my husband's unemployed:
1. Never have to wonder if the hubby will be home in time for dinner
He will be! Because now every night is "Family Night." We're exactly like Leave it to Beaver, if Ward was unemployed and the Cleavers could only afford Spam.

2. There's someone around to appreciate my sarcasm all day
Part of my work involves checking the news pretty frequently, which of course means I need to comment on it all day long. Frankly, the kids don't really appreciate my take on the Toddlers & Tiaras mom's lawsuit as much as my husband does.

3. Time alone
Our youngest is only in half-day kindergarten, but that is still two-and-a-half hours. This is clearly more time than we've had alone together in our house in over a decade. And no one said dates have to happen at night, did they? Oh, wait, we're too broke to go out. I guess we'll have to stay in ...


4. The coveted Sick Day
When my husband is working, I pretty much have to be either in labor or at death's door to ask him to stay home. But now I don't have to ask him to stay home! He has nowhere else to go. Over the last couple of weeks, I've had both walking pneumonia and a raging sinus infection. Walking pneumonia isn't the serious kind where you are completely down for the count. It's the annoying, feel-like-crap-but-go-about-your-day-anyway kind. But I didn't have to go about my day! My husband did everything, and brought me juice, to boot.


5. Time to chat
This is the first presidential election year since Bush-Gore that we've had time to discuss politics.



6. Complete lack of spending money really frees up our weekends
Nope, sorry, we can't join you at the mall / aquarium / skating rink / movies / arcade / fast food joint / zoo / soccer try-outs / ballet recital / overcrowded, germ-encrusted children's museum. Darn.



We now stand a fighting chance in the Battle of Laundry Hill

7. We now stand a fighting chance in the Battle of Laundry Hill
Generally speaking, we're always a little bit behind on the laundry. So much so that eventually the pants might get up and actually walk themselves to the washer in disgust. But with both my husband and I at the task, we're almost like one fully functional adult. Yay us!

No comments:

Post a Comment