Saturday 31 August 2013

Floyd Mayweather gives media Money's worth at workout

Floyd Mayweather gives media Money's worth at workout, Boxing’s pound-for-pound kingpin has never been shy about promoting himself.

So when the swarm of global news media converged on the upscale Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas this week to watch undefeated champion Floyd Mayweather work out, the 36-year-old fighter nicknamed “Money” was right in his element.

Mayweather spent nearly three hours posing for photos, giving interview after interview and showing off his considerable speed and skills in the ring. He is a little more than two weeks away from what is expected to be one of the richest fights of all time when he takes on Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a battle of undefeated champions on Showtime pay-per-view.

The Sept. 14 showdown, “The One,” between Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs), the eight-time, five-division champion, and 23-year-old Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs), the WBC, WBA and Ring magazine super welterweight titlist, will highlight Mexican Independence Day weekend at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Also appearing on one of the biggest boxing card in years is the 140-pound title fight between undefeated Danny Garcia and big-punching Argentine Lucas Matthysse, an event headliner-worthy by itself.

As he has been since serving a two-month jail sentence more than a year ago, Mayweather appeared relaxed, confident, smiling and friendly, even getting a haircut in his locker room under the watchful eye of a streaming video camera before his workout.

“This was just a light workout; it was cool,” Mayweather said. “I appreciate all the media coming out and the fans for supporting me throughout my career. It’s been truly a blessing.”

Mayweather gushed over his preparation for Alvarez, the red-headed Mexican superstar who has been training in Big Bear, Calif.

“I think I’ll be a lot sharper for this fight. My training camp has been great,” Mayweather said. “Actually, this is one of the best training camps I’ve had, probably since 2005. On my first day back, I got right back into sparring. I think I sparred seven rounds.

“My (trainer) dad (Floyd Sr.) is happy, (Mayweather Promotions CEO) Leonard (Ellerbe) is happy, (manager) Al (Haymon) is happy and I’m happy. I’ve been boxing a lot of rounds so I’m sharp. I’m in great condition and happy to get right back in there. I feel tremendous.”

The fight will be contested at a catch weight of 152 pounds, 2 pounds under the light middleweight limit. Both fighters currently hold 154-pound titles.

“My weight is made,” Mayweather said. “I came into training camp weighing 150 or 149, and I came into the gym today probably weighing 150 or 149.”

In another departure from the Floyd of old, there was much praise for an opponent who is 13 years younger and could be the toughest test of Mayweather’s 17-year career.

“Canelo is a solid competitor, but it is what it is: I’ve faced the best in this sport, I know what it takes to be involved in a fight of this magnitude and I’m dedicated to my craft,” Mayweather said. “I was born for this.”

Both fighters are coming off unanimous decision victories. Alvarez handed Austin Trout his first loss in April, and Mayweather had a relatively easy time against Robert Guerrero in May.

“This is a great matchup. He’s a puncher. I’m a sharp boxer. You know, a lot of times I hit these guys and I make them go into survival mode,” Mayweather said. “Even in the Guerrero fight I was looking for the knockout, but I hurt my hand. So I wasn’t impressed with myself -- because I didn’t get the knockout. This time around, I’ll be looking for the knockout.

“He’s banking on his youth, I’m banking on my experience. I have a lot of experience in championship fights.”

Ellerbe thinks this is the right time for Mayweather vs. Alvarez.

“This is the fight the fans wanted. They demanded it, and this is the fight that Floyd wanted,” Ellerbe said. “In my opinion, this fight will be the biggest in the history of the sport.

“We know what (Canelo) brings to the table. He is a tremendous fighter, he is the biggest star in Mexico and he has a tremendous following.”

Asked about staying on top in a sport that has historically focused on the heavier weights, Mayweather offered his recipe.

“You’ve got to be mentally tough,” he said, “push yourself to the limit, be physically sharp, have a great chin and a tremendous heart.

“I’m the face of boxing, and I’m happy that I was able to transcend and change the sport in a totally different way. At one particular time in the late ‘70s, ‘80s and all the way to the ‘90s, it was all about the heavyweights. Then I came in and brought attention to the smaller guys. I think I’ve done a lot for the sport of boxing, and boxing has done a lot for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment